Thursday 6 August 2009

Taking us for granted

We all tend to take the other for granted at times. Sometimes when we speak about it, we feel as though we are not being heard.

There are some real liberty taking men out there. I have seen them and I have been with them in the past. They expect you to cook everyday, keep a clean home, look after children, wash your clothes theirs and the children. Plus you are still meant to walk around with a smile on your face everyday and not complain about being tired. You also go to work within all that process. For all the things you do, there is no thank you, there is no "oh darling put your feet up, Ill do that today". You know what the worse thing of all this is? We women put up with it then complain to our friends.

Now women, if your man is not disabled, why are you running around like a fool? If you enjoy doing all that, then great but for all you women out there who don't like it and are not sure how to change it, then let me give you a few clues.

Try going away and staying with a family member for a whole night and day. Dont have an argument about it, just do it casually. Let him see how hard you have it. Let him cook his own food and wash up after himself. Do the little subtle things. Dont change the bed for two weeks, see if he notices it. Dont cook for a few days. Tell him your tired. Break the chain, do things out of pattern. Start spending more time with your friends. Do these things slowly bit by bit. Be prepared for an argument or two. You just have to slow down and stop doing so much. If you have never discussed these things with him, then this is not the route for you. This is the route only for those who have not been heard by him. If you have never communicated your feelings about this to him before, then you need to do that first for a while. Dont just jump in there with these tactics.

So what if the house becomes a mess. Yes we know you dont want to live in the mess, guess what? neither does he! You have to slow down so he can see just how much you do. Once he can't take it anymore, then drop it on him. Tell him you need his in put, you want him to do more around the house and stop taking you for granted. This way you can stop taking your own self for granted once he hears what you are saying and he starts to help around the house a bit.

I remember back in the past, to get my point across, I stopped packing and unpacking the dishwasher and stopped changing the bed. My husband is great around the house now. Imagine, we both went to work, done the same hours, but he would expect as I'm the woman to do the cooking. I did it at first then I found myself complaining, so I stopped the cooking. Now my husband cooks most of the time.

Believe me, they will all try it, if you let them. They can only get a way with it, for as long as you allow them. Now when I cook, he enjoys it more.

If we allow them, then they will.










No comments: